Hello!
I have a simplicial complex X and a subcomplex Y (that is not induced on a subset of the vertices of X). I would like to create the chain complex representing the homology of the pair (Y,X) and compute its homology. The i-th term of this chain complex is (for me) the vector space generated by the i-dimensional faces of X not belonging to Y. I do not see a function for this in the documentation, but I am new to Polymake so I may have missed it. Is this functionality already available?
As an alternative, I already wrote a function that goes through the faces of my X and returns true (or false) if they belong to Y (or not). To construct my complex, I would need to restrict the boundary maps of X to the subset of faces returning false. Is this possible? Or even better, since the boundary matrices of X are huge, it would be great if I could get the restriction without constructing the entire boundary map first.
More generally, I would also like to do this when I have a filtration X_i < X_(i+1) of X. The chain complexes associated to the pairs (X_i,X_(i+1)) would give me the zero page of the spectral sequence that computes the homology of X via the filtration. I noticed Polymake has a Filtration type and I was able to construct the filtration in a small case, but I do not know how to proceed from here. It seems like persistent_homology is the main method that applies to filtrations, but I do not know enough about persistent homology to say how it relates to what I am trying to do (if so, any pointers would be greatly appreciated!).
Thank you!

