Defining a very large polytope

Questions and problems about using polymake go here.
paulcheung
Posts: 15
Joined: 06 Oct 2020, 03:45

Defining a very large polytope

Postby paulcheung » 08 May 2025, 06:54

Hi,

I would like to use the $p = new Polytope(POINTS=> ) function to define a new polytope.

However, the polytope has roughly 350 millions points with 80 dimensions. It will be almost impossible for me to copy and paste and edit those points onto the code terminal.

Originally, I have those points (each rows as a point with logical value 0, 1) saved in a matrix in Matlab (~600MB). I output those into a CSV file and it is huge (~50GB). Even with a CSV file, I am not sure how to deal with it.

I wonder if there is anyway I can save those points in a format such that it will be feasible for polymake to read it and do things like print $p->FACETS.

Your help is much appreciated. Thank you very much!!

Best,
Paul

User avatar
joswig
Main Author
Posts: 294
Joined: 24 Dec 2010, 11:10

Re: Defining a very large polytope

Postby joswig » 08 May 2025, 13:11

Please re-read what I wrote about much smaller input. You can spare the time; there is no way to compute convex hulls of this size. And, no, it is not a polymake problem.

Concerning passing data to polymake, you can write files that polymake can read. In addition to the current json, we still support, e.g., the old polymake format (which is easy to write) and lp.


Return to “Helpdesk”