Page 1 of 1

Problems with the visualisation of a fan

Posted: 26 Mar 2013, 21:54
by keilen
Hi,

when I visualise a fan via jreality, the output has way more cones than I expect. It seems that cones with more than three rays are subdivided, so that each cone has only three rays. Is that a feature or a bug?
I enclose the polymake code for the example I am interested in, in case you need it:

Code: Select all

$fivegone=new Polytope<Rational>(POINTS=>[[1,0,0,0],[1,1,0,0],[1,0,1,0],[1,0,0,1],[1,1,2,3]]); application(fan); $fivegonenf=normal_fan($fivegone); print $fivegonenf->F_VECTOR; jreality($fivegonenf->VISUAL);
Best, Thomas

Re: Problems with the visualisation of a fan

Posted: 26 Mar 2013, 23:44
by joswig
when I visualise a fan via jreality, the output has way more cones than I expect. It seems that cones with more than three rays are subdivided, so that each cone has only three rays. Is that a feature or a bug?
With the jReality window active press "alt-shift-left", which opens an extra pane to the left. Then press the button "Refine" in the section "Spherical refine". You may choose the number of points for the subdivision (or subdivide repeatedly). You might also want to experiment with "Explode". Have fun.

Re: Problems with the visualisation of a fan

Posted: 27 Mar 2013, 08:56
by keilen
Thanks. That helped a lot.