Immediate problem with MacOS Polymake

Questions and problems about using polymake go here.
gordonfroyle

Immediate problem with MacOS Polymake

Postby gordonfroyle » 06 Jul 2012, 08:51

I have just downloaded and installed the Mac version of Polymake, and the very first example fails.

I typed in the code for the cube in the Tutorial Wiki page, but the command to check if the polytope is simple does not return.

Code: Select all

polytope > $c = new Polytope<Rational>; polytope > $c->POINTS=<<"."; polytope (2)> 1 0 0 0 polytope (3)> 1 1 0 0 polytope (4)> 1 0 1 0 polytope (5)> 1 1 1 0 polytope (6)> 1 0 0 1 polytope (7)> 1 1 0 1 polytope (8)> 1 0 1 1 polytope (9)> 1 1 1 1 polytope (10)> . polytope > $c polytope > ; polytope > print $c; Polymake::polytope::Polytope__Rational=ARRAY(0x7f869d633be8) polytope > print $c->N_FACETS; polymake: used package cddlib Implementation of the double description method of Motzkin et al. Copyright by Komei Fukuda. http://www.ifor.math.ethz.ch/~fukuda/cdd_home/cdd.html polymake: used package lrslib Implementation of the reverse search algorithm of Avis and Fukuda. Copyright by David Avis. http://cgm.cs.mcgill.ca/~avis/lrs.html 6 polytope > print $c->SIMPLE;
When I checked the processes running on my machine, the process perl5.12 is running at full speed, but nothing has been returned. It has consumed about 10 minutes cpu so far.

To make sure I was doing nothing stupid, I retyped it all into the interactive "Try Polymake online" page and the response was almost immediate.

The computer is a 3.4GHz Core i7 iMac with 16Gb RAM running a fully up-to-date Mac OS X 10.7.4/

paffenholz
Developer

Re: Immediate problem with MacOS Polymake

Postby paffenholz » 06 Jul 2012, 09:31

Just to be sure: You used the precompiled "bundle" version of polymake?

There was a bug in the gmp I used for the bundle that could cause polymake to run into an infinite loop. I hoped to fix this with a new version of the bundle. I have put that on the download page three days ago. Did you use version 3 (the filename of the dmg should end in ...-v3.dmg)?

If yes, then I will have to investigate again. That might take same days, as I don't have 10.7.

Otherwise you could also compile your own version e.g. using fink to provide all required packages (in particular, a proper gcc).

gordonfroyle

Re: Immediate problem with MacOS Polymake

Postby gordonfroyle » 06 Jul 2012, 10:15

I used the precompiled "bundle" version, but it was the -v2 version.

I deleted everything, reinstalled using the -v3 version and it now works instantly.

So whatever was causing the problem has already been fixed.

Return to “Helpdesk”