Tropical elliptic curves
Posted: 12 Mar 2025, 01:21
Consider the elliptic curve X/Q whose affine equation is given by
f(x,y) = y^2 - (x-6)(x-5)(x+11) = y^2 - x^3 + 91x - 330.
I'd like to consider this curve over Q_17, the field of 17-adic numbers, and draw the corresponding tropical curve and the dual subdivision. Here is my code (after homogenizing the curve and computing 17-adic valuation of the coefficients):
When I visualize $ds, I see what I expect. However, when I visualize $H, what I see is a little bit "odd": the upward component is NOT vertical. Is this caused by 2D vs 3D?
In another direction, when I run the code
the answer is 0. Shouldn't it be 1? From $ds, it's clear that the number of interior lattice points is 1.
I apologize in advance if these are silly questions. Polymake is highly new to me
.
Remark: An elliptic curve is a smooth, projective, algebraic curve of genus one, with a distinguished point.
f(x,y) = y^2 - (x-6)(x-5)(x+11) = y^2 - x^3 + 91x - 330.
I'd like to consider this curve over Q_17, the field of 17-adic numbers, and draw the corresponding tropical curve and the dual subdivision. Here is my code (after homogenizing the curve and computing 17-adic valuation of the coefficients):
Code: Select all
$H = new Hypersurface<Min>(MONOMIALS=>[[0,2,1],[3,0,0],[1,0,2],[0,0,3]], COEFFICIENTS=>[0,0,0,0]);
$ds = $H -> dual_subdivision();
$H -> VISUAL;
$ds -> VISUAL;In another direction, when I run the code
Code: Select all
print $H->GENUS;I apologize in advance if these are silly questions. Polymake is highly new to me
Remark: An elliptic curve is a smooth, projective, algebraic curve of genus one, with a distinguished point.