Installing polymake on macOS 13.2.1: Can't find 'boot_Polymake__Ext' symbol

Discussions on installation issues go here.
Aryaman

Installing polymake on macOS 13.2.1: Can't find 'boot_Polymake__Ext' symbol

Postby Aryaman » 13 Apr 2023, 13:19

Hi,

I'm attempting to install polymake from source on a macOS 13.2.1 machine (M2 processor). I followed the instructions on this page https://polymake.org/doku.php/install/macos and only had to modify three things during the course of installation:

1) Used tar -xvf polymake-4.9.tar.bz2 instead of tar -xvfj polymake-4.9.tar.bz2
2) Used sudo cpanm Term::ReadLine::Gnu instead of cpanm Term::ReadLine::Gnu.
3) Used --without-java --with-brew=/opt/homebrew/ --prefix=$HOME/<polymake_install_folder> instead of ./configure --without-java --prefix=$HOME/<polymake_install_folder>

And the configuration was successful. But then after I added $HOME/<polymake_install_folder>/bin/polymake to PATH and tried to call polymake I got the following error:

Code: Select all

Can't find 'boot_Polymake__Ext' symbol in /Users/aryaman/Polymake_4.9/lib/polymake/perlx/5.30.3/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/Polymake/Ext/Ext.bundle at /Users/aryaman/Polymake_4.9/share/polymake/perllib/Polymake/Namespaces.pm line 18. Compilation failed in require at /Users/aryaman/Polymake_4.9/share/polymake/perllib/Polymake/Namespaces.pm line 18. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /Users/aryaman/Polymake_4.9/share/polymake/perllib/Polymake/Namespaces.pm line 18. Compilation failed in require at /Users/aryaman/Polymake_4.9/share/polymake/perllib/Polymake.pm line 29. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /Users/aryaman/Polymake_4.9/share/polymake/perllib/Polymake.pm line 29. Compilation failed in require at /Users/aryaman/Polymake_4.9/bin//polymake line 156. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /Users/aryaman/Polymake_4.9/bin//polymake line 156.
When I try to call polymake from a new terminal window it just says zsh: command not found: polymake. I checked the polymake forum and couldn't find this specific error having occurred before; I was wondering what I could do to solve this. I'd appreciate any help someone could offer!

Thanks in advance.

Aryaman

paffenholz
Developer

Re: Installing polymake on macOS 13.2.1: Can't find 'boot_Polymake__Ext' symbol

Postby paffenholz » 08 May 2023, 11:23

This error may be due to compiling for the wrong architecture. In the installation instructions this was fixed to x86_64 for Intel Macs). You may check your $HOME/.zshrc for the line

ARCHFLAGS="-arch x86_64"
and change it to

ARCHFLAGS="-arch arm64"
. Open a new terminal (or source .zshrc), run configure, make and make install again. This should fix the problem.

Aryaman

Re: Installing polymake on macOS 13.2.1: Can't find 'boot_Polymake__Ext' symbol

Postby Aryaman » 09 May 2023, 10:16

This did fix the problem. Thanks a lot for your help!

Return to “Installing polymake”