Problems USEing matroid in 2.10

Questions and problems about using polymake go here.
hampe
Developer

Problems USEing matroid in 2.10

Postby hampe » 15 Jul 2011, 17:36

I have a problem when trying to include functionality from the application matroid in my extension.

I have a main.rules file for tropical that includes a "USE matroid" clause at the beginning. When I start polymake it complains
Loading applications now...polymake: ERROR: "/home/hampe/work/atint/apps/tropical/rules/main.rules", line 24: rule file /home/hampe/work/atint/apps/matroid/rules/main.rules does not exist
In fact, I don't have any extension to matroid in my extension directory. Even if I do create it via found_extension and add a main.rules file (either empty or containing some dummy functions), polymake now complains upon restart:
Loading applications now...polymake: ERROR: "/usr/local/share/polymake/perllib/Polymake/Core/Application.pm", line 309: Can't call method "so_name" on an undefined value
If I replace USE matroid by any other application, i.e USE fan/ USE polytope, etc., everything works fine (except that I can't call the functions from matroid ;) ). As the subject title suggests, this only happens in 2.10 :)

gawrilow
Main Author

Re: Problems USEing matroid in 2.10

Postby gawrilow » 16 Jul 2011, 12:15

First of all, I'm not lucky about the idea of introducing dependences between applications at the extension level. We should probably constrain the allowed appearances of USE and IMPORT commands to the primary main.rules of each application.

Anyway, in your concrete case you are trying to establish a circular dependence, because application matroid already USEs tropical, even if the reason for the latter remains obscure for me. Recently we have introduced a mechanism allowing to add properties in applications different from the object's "native" one. Perhaps this will help to remove the dependence between matroid and tropical as well.

hampe
Developer

Postby hampe » 18 Jul 2011, 11:13

So, if I understand this correctly: Currently there is no way to use matroid functionality in tropical - but there will be?

sherrmann
Developer

Postby sherrmann » 19 Jul 2011, 00:38

So, if I understand this correctly: Currently there is no way to use matroid functionality in tropical - but there will be?
There is, it is just not possible to do this via a USE statement in a rule file. For example, one can write scripts in the application tropical using function from the application matroid, or write c++ clients that include files form the application matroid.

hampe
Developer

Postby hampe » 02 Aug 2011, 09:01

Now, if I created a new application instead of an extension, adding dependencies via USE and IMPORT in the main.rules file should be fine?

Return to “Helpdesk”