Reconfigure error under Ubuntu 11.04

Questions and problems about using polymake go here.
Etsche

Reconfigure error under Ubuntu 11.04

Postby Etsche » 22 Sep 2011, 16:16

Hello,

I'm trying to configure some software for visualizing polytopes. When trying to e.g.
reconfigure("javaview.rules");
I get the following error:

Code: Select all

polymake: ERROR: "/usr/share/polymake/perllib/Polymake/Core/ObjectType.pm", line 373: Can't call method "key" on unblessed reference
The command
polymake --reconfigure
doesn't work either:

Welcome to polymake version 2.10, released on June 20, 2011 Copyright (c) 1997-2011 Ewgenij Gawrilow, Michael Joswig (TU Darmstadt) http://www.polymake.org This is free software licensed under GPL; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. Loading applications now...polymake: WARNING: /usr/share/polymake/apps/common/rules/java.rules - autoconfiguration failed: native library compilation failed; see the error log below make: *** No rule to make target `all-native'. Stop. polymake: ERROR: "/usr/share/polymake/apps/graph/rules/postscript.rules", line 37: unknown label 'postscript'
My system configuration:
Ubuntu 11.04, 32 bit
polymake 2.10
gcc-4.4
g++-4.4
perl-5.10.1

Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks and regards,
etsche

paffenholz
Developer

Re: Reconfigure error under Ubuntu 11.04

Postby paffenholz » 25 Sep 2011, 09:23

The first of your problem is known, but it should nevertheless configure javaview for use with polymake. Have you tried? Maybe issue the reconfigure command twice.

If your installation of polymake does not start anymore due to these problems, delete the folder ".polymake" in your home directory (or, if you have configured other things already, test this first by defining a new customization folder for polymake via

export POLYMAKE_USER_DIR=~/.polymake-new
This has to be repeated in any new (terminal) shell.)

The second is indeed a bug in the code, the target "all-native" has ceased to exist. We will look into this.

gawrilow
Main Author

Postby gawrilow » 25 Sep 2011, 10:24

Please try the attached patch. It should solve both problems you have encountered.
Apply it to the unpacked source tree:

cd .../polymake-2.10 patch -p1 <YOUR_DOWNLOADS/reconfigure_v10340_10342.patch make install-shared
Attachments
reconfigure_v10340_10342.patch
patch file for core perl modules
(2.65 KiB) Downloaded 521 times
Last edited by gawrilow on 25 Sep 2011, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected the patch file name

Etsche

Postby Etsche » 26 Sep 2011, 12:34

Thanks, the patch fixed the problem for me (after I installed polymake without the .deb-package; with I had no clue where to find the make-file necessary for applying the patch).

gawrilow
Main Author

Postby gawrilow » 26 Sep 2011, 15:29

I had no clue where to find the make-file necessary for applying the patch.
Actually, this patch can be directly applied to the installed package as well, because it only modifies some perl modules and does not require any recompilation. You have to navigate into /usr/local/share/polymake (or whatever path for perl modules is configured in the package) and possibly adjust the number in the -p option of the patch command.

Etsche

Postby Etsche » 26 Sep 2011, 18:41

I am not very experienced with Linux. But the location you suggested is the exact location I tried. Applying the patch was indeed possible, but the

make install-shared
didn't work (that's why I thought it might have something to do with the missing make-file in the folder).
Without this the patch was not applied successfully. Reconfiguring Javaview was not possible.

I just wanted to share this experience with other people, who are not very good with Ubuntu, too. It worked perfectly with the "self-made polymake".

gawrilow
Main Author

Postby gawrilow » 26 Sep 2011, 19:02

'make install-shared' does nothing else but copies the files from the unpacked tar ball to the final destination under /usr/local/... . If you directly patch the files at the destination, you obviously don't need any further copying, thus the 'make' step is superfluous (and impossible, because there is no suitable Makefile anymore).

But you should be aware of the following: the files installed by the package management system belong to root and usually have no write permission for anybody else, therefore you should execute the patch command as root or via sudo. If you try to modify the files under /usr/local as a normal user, patch will fail complaining about something like "permission denied" or "write-protected files".

Return to “Helpdesk”