hasse_diagram for selected vertices

Questions and problems about using polymake go here.
satya123999

hasse_diagram for selected vertices

Postby satya123999 » 17 Mar 2015, 14:48

Dear all,

I followed your tutorial: http://polymake.org/doku.php/tutorial/f ... e_tutorial to compute a part of face lattice (e.g. 1 -dimensional faces). Is it possible to use this function to compute a part of face lattice with few selected vertices (which is pre-defined) ? For example, I am interested only to test if few selected vertices share a common 1 or 2-dimensional face ? (because even computing a part of face lattice (with all vertices) for a very large polytope is taking considerable amount of time)

Best Regards,
Satya

joswig
Main Author

Re: hasse_diagram for selected vertices

Postby joswig » 20 Mar 2015, 15:27

No, currently, such a function is not supported directly. However, it is not difficult to obtain: Take all facets (i.e. rows of VERTICES_IN_FACETS) containing the two given vertices and intersect them (as sets of vertices, i.e., as objects of type Set<Int>). Then compute the dimension of the affine span of the VERTICES corresponding to that intersection. This is the dimension of the face spanned by the two vertices given.

satya123999

Postby satya123999 » 21 Mar 2015, 17:19

Thank you very much for the reply.

If I understand correctly, to realise this in polymake, I think I have to create a new Polytope with the vertices (with POINTS property) obtained from the intersection and compute its dimension (this should be the dimension of affine hull & also the dimension of the face spanned by two given vertices ) ?

Regards,
Satya

gawrilow
Main Author

Postby gawrilow » 22 Mar 2015, 15:39

A rank() function should be enough:

Code: Select all

my $vif=$P->VERTICES_IN_FACETS; my $common_facets=new Set($vif->col(pop @selected_vertices)); $common_facets *= $vif->col($_) for @selected_vertices; if ($common_facets->size > 0) { my @common_facets=@{$common_facets}; my $point_set=new Set($vif->row(pop @common_facets)); $point_set *= $vif->row($_) for @common_facets; # subtracting 1 for homogeneous coordinate return rank($P->VERTICES->minor($point_set, All) - 1; } return -1;
I hope there are no errors here :?

joswig
Main Author

Postby joswig » 22 Mar 2015, 18:25

A function similar to the above will be part of the next snapshot or release; see http://trac.polymake.org/changeset/ade6 ... 3e8483c347

satya123999

Postby satya123999 » 30 Mar 2015, 13:07

Thank you very much for the function. I will try it and get back if I face any problems

I cannot access http://trac.polymake.org/changeset/ade6 ... 3e8483c347 (the polymake forum user credentials are not accepted by it)

assarf
Developer

Postby assarf » 31 Mar 2015, 09:52

That is true. It's basically just a link to the added function.

Code: Select all

# @category Combinatorics # For a given set of vertices compute the smallest face F containing them all. # Returns a Pair<Set,Set> where the first is the set of vertices of F, while the second is the set of facets containing F. # Example: $c=cube(3); print rank($c->VERTICES->minor($c->face([0,1])->first(),All))-1; # computes the dimension of the face of the 3-cube which is spanned by the vertices 0 and 1. user_method face { ... }
no signature

Return to “Helpdesk”