Problems with the visualisation of a fan

Questions and problems about using polymake go here.
keilen

Problems with the visualisation of a fan

Postby keilen » 26 Mar 2013, 21:54

Hi,

when I visualise a fan via jreality, the output has way more cones than I expect. It seems that cones with more than three rays are subdivided, so that each cone has only three rays. Is that a feature or a bug?
I enclose the polymake code for the example I am interested in, in case you need it:

Code: Select all

$fivegone=new Polytope<Rational>(POINTS=>[[1,0,0,0],[1,1,0,0],[1,0,1,0],[1,0,0,1],[1,1,2,3]]); application(fan); $fivegonenf=normal_fan($fivegone); print $fivegonenf->F_VECTOR; jreality($fivegonenf->VISUAL);
Best, Thomas

joswig
Main Author

Re: Problems with the visualisation of a fan

Postby joswig » 26 Mar 2013, 23:44

when I visualise a fan via jreality, the output has way more cones than I expect. It seems that cones with more than three rays are subdivided, so that each cone has only three rays. Is that a feature or a bug?
With the jReality window active press "alt-shift-left", which opens an extra pane to the left. Then press the button "Refine" in the section "Spherical refine". You may choose the number of points for the subdivision (or subdivide repeatedly). You might also want to experiment with "Explode". Have fun.

keilen

Re: Problems with the visualisation of a fan

Postby keilen » 27 Mar 2013, 08:56

Thanks. That helped a lot.

Return to “Helpdesk”