reconfiguring gfan.rules in local folder

Questions and problems about using polymake go here.
ren

reconfiguring gfan.rules in local folder

Postby ren » 14 Nov 2016, 14:54

In gfan.rules, line 49, the function "eliminate_denominators_entire_affine" is not defined. I tried to fix it by removing the function in the gfan.rules in my local directories

Code: Select all

/users/others/reny/build/share/polymake/apps/fan/rules/gfan.rules
however after reconfiguring gfan.rules, the problem still exists:

fan > reconfigure("gfan.rules"); Please confirm the path to the program `gfan_bases' or enter an alternative location: [program path] > /usr/bin/gfan_bases Please confirm the path to the program `gfan_secondaryfan' or enter an alternative location: [program path] > /usr/bin/gfan_secondaryfan Please confirm the path to the program `gfan_topolyhedralfan' or enter an alternative location: [program path] > /usr/bin/gfan_topolyhedralfan fan > $ptconf = new Matrix<Integer>([[1,0,0],[1,3,0,],[1,0,3],[1,1,1]]); fan > $Sigma = secondary_fan($ptconf); polymake: used package gfan Gfan is a software package for computing Groebner fans and tropical varieties. Copyright by Anders Jensen http://home.imf.au.dk/jensen/software/gfan/gfan.html polymake: ERROR: no matching overloaded instance of Polymake::common::eliminate_denominators_entire_affine(Matrix<Integer, NonSymmetric>) at input line 1. fan >
I think this is because polymake is using the following gfan.rules that to which I have no rights

/usr/local/share/polymake/apps/fan/rules/gfan.rules /usr/local/share/polymake/apps/tropical/rules/gfan.rules
How can I check which gfan.rules my polymake is using and how can I encourage it to use the one in my local directories? I tried putting my local directories at the beginning of $PATH, but that did not work.

hampe
Developer

Re: reconfiguring gfan.rules in local folder

Postby hampe » 14 Nov 2016, 15:44

The rule files you're using depend on the polymake installation you're using. So as long as you run the system polymake, you will always use the rule files shipped with it. There is (as far as I know) no way around this.
If you want to fiddle with the source code, you have to download the polymake source code and build it yourself in your home folder.

In your example, the problem lies with the fact that your matrix is Integer - so naturally, eliminating denominators doesn't make sense. That's what the error message is about. If you define ptconf as Matrix<Rational>, it should work.

ren

Postby ren » 14 Nov 2016, 16:06

I see, thanks for the suggestion!

I was actually using the polymake that I compiled myself, but forget my question. As long as I can compute secondary fans I am happy. :)

gawrilow
Main Author

Postby gawrilow » 14 Nov 2016, 16:19

... How can I check which gfan.rules my polymake is using and how can I encourage it to use the one in my local directories?
Run

polymake -vv
: it will print all rulefiles it loads.

polymake always loads rules installed alongside the main script. Thus if you start /usr/local/bin/polymake, which is a file produced by `make install', it will load the rules from /usr/local/share/polymake/apps/... If you start the script located in the directory where you have unpacked and initially built it, it will pick the rules from the same unpacked tree.

Return to “Helpdesk”