Error message about lack of Postscript viewer

Questions and problems about using polymake go here.
Andrew Harrell

Error message about lack of Postscript viewer

Postby Andrew Harrell » 18 May 2016, 02:17

I have a MacBook Pro with newest MAC OS operating system. I downloaded the compiled polymake apt from the website and started with the tutorial sample code.

After entering, at the cursor the statement: product(n_gon(5),n_gon(7))->SCHLEGEL(FACET=>1); I get an error message saying no postscript viewer is configured. I tried the suggestion to use the reconfigure command as given in the message, no improvement. I also downloaded an Postview apt from the internet, installed it and tried again.Same error message.

Has any one else had this problem? Is there something else I need to do to in addition to downloading the software to configure the MAC as a postscript viewer?

paffenholz
Developer

Re: Error message about lack of Postscript viewer

Postby paffenholz » 18 May 2016, 22:05

polymake asking for a postscript viewer in particular means that configuration/compilation of the java parts of polymake or the jreality viewer failed. Fixing this would certainly be the more favourable solution as jreality is an interactive viewer that allows you to scale and turn the visualized object.

But using postscript vor visualization should work. However, on a Mac you have to configure it manually as MacOS has, for graphical programs, a different approach to organizing and locating binaries which is not implemented in polymake.

Preview, which comes with MacOS, can display postscript. You can configure this for polymake with

Code: Select all

polytope > reconfigure("common::postscript.rules"); Please confirm the path to a PostScript viewer program or enter an alternative location: [program path] > open -a Preview polytope >
This uses the command line tool "open" to redirect the call to a MacOS program. If that does not work, then please post the error message you get when calling a visualization command.

(Another options to obtain a postscript viewer would be to use fink, brew or macports to install gv and either put the bin dir of those installations in the $PATH or give the full path as the program path in the command above)

Andreas

Return to “Helpdesk”