ERROR: Package "TropicalPolytope" does not exist..

Questions and problems about using polymake go here.
spmath

ERROR: Package "TropicalPolytope" does not exist..

Postby spmath » 18 Feb 2016, 21:05

I had polymake 2.14 in Ubuntu 14.04. Then I decided to update it because the tropical computations at the end of page

https://polymake.org/doku.php/tutorial/ ... h_comments

do not all run in polymake 2.14. I notice that polymake does not have a unistall. First, I installed the version 3.0, but my computer sort of ignored it. Then, I remove some folder called /polymake in my usr/local manually. I download polymake 3.0 and installed again. It runs, but I got into trouble:

Code: Select all

use application "tropical"; $q=new TropicalPolytope<Rational>(POINTS => [[0,3,6],[0,5,2],[0,0,1],[1,5,0]]); polymake: ERROR: Package "TropicalPolytope" does not exist at input line 1.
Clearly, I messed it up at some point. I tried to ./configure+make install a couple of times. I also attempted to reinstall the whole version again, after running make clean. Unfortunately, it does not work.

I am wondering how can I fix it?

Thank you in advance.

joswig
Main Author

Re: ERROR: Package "TropicalPolytope" does not exist..

Postby joswig » 19 Feb 2016, 09:19

In version 3.0 we completely revamped the application tropical. On the way, e.g., "TropicalPolytope" became "Cone", where the "tropical" is implicit since it resides in the application tropical.

Here is how you can deal with your example.

Code: Select all

tropical> $q=new Cone<Min,Rational>(POINTS => [[0,3,6],[0,5,2],[0,0,1],[1,5,0]]); tropical> print $q->CONE_MAXIMAL_COVECTORS;
This will print what was previously called "types" of the maximal cells of the decomposition of the tropical projective torus induced by the max-tropical hyperplane arrangement induced by the points. The notation "covector" was suggested by Fink and Rincón, J. Combin. Theory Ser. A 135 (2015). We now prefer to call these objects "cones" rather than "polytopes" since they are homogeneous.

Notice that you always have to decide whether you want to take Min or Max as your tropical addition. We deliberately refrained from picking a default here. We think that this helps to avoid mistakes, in particular, in situations where both operations are mixed.

Return to “Helpdesk”