Is it possible to turn on screen output?

Questions and problems about using polymake go here.
kisas

Is it possible to turn on screen output?

Postby kisas » 28 Oct 2014, 00:18

Hi all,
I searched but didn't find an answer. How to turn on screen output when e.g., computing lattice points, or generating facets? When I was using PORTA, it prints out the progress so that I have an rough idea how the process is going. Does Polymake have similar screen print out ?

Thanks!

gawrilow
Main Author

Re: Is it possible to turn on screen output?

Postby gawrilow » 28 Oct 2014, 11:44

It's definitely not possible for convex hull computations, as both main engines (cdd and lrslib) do not print any progress information. Most probably, the lattice point enumeration will also be quiescent. You can try running polymake in debug mode: `polymake -d'. You will see a lot of unrelated noise like rules tried and executed, but maybe amidst all that you will discover something interesting.

Presumably, providing progress information would be a useful enhancement, but the implementation would have to be done individually for each and every involved third-party library, all using different message formats and channels; so this would require a non-trivial development effort.

kisas

Re: Is it possible to turn on screen output?

Postby kisas » 28 Oct 2014, 17:27

Thank you! Tried -d. the output seems interesting.
It's definitely not possible for convex hull computations, as both main engines (cdd and lrslib) do not print any progress information. Most probably, the lattice point enumeration will also be quiescent. You can try running polymake in debug mode: `polymake -d'. You will see a lot of unrelated noise like rules tried and executed, but maybe amidst all that you will discover something interesting.

Presumably, providing progress information would be a useful enhancement, but the implementation would have to be done individually for each and every involved third-party library, all using different message formats and channels; so this would require a non-trivial development effort.

Return to “Helpdesk”