Bounding box

Questions and problems about using polymake go here.
hkopp

Bounding box

Postby hkopp » 22 Feb 2011, 12:55

Hallo,
I have a question to the bounding boxes:

Code: Select all

$t=new Polytope<Rational>(POINTS=>([[0,0,0,1],[0,0,0,-1],[0,1,1,0],[0,-1,-1,0],[1,-1,-1,0]])); $v=new Polytope<Rational>(POINTS=>([[0,0,0,1],[0,0,0,-1],[0,1,1,0],[0,-1,-1,0],[1,0,0,0]])); compose($v->VISUAL(FacetColor=>'blue'), $t->VISUAL);
Then $t and $v are exactly the same plane (except one is blue) but they get drawed differently. To me, it seems that the bounding boxes are firstly computed and then the two Visuals are joined. Is there a possibility, that I can first join the Visuals and then compute the bounding box?

Actually, my problem is that I have lots of polytopes and want to visualize them all at once. I think it would be clearlier represented if they all have the same bounding box.

Best regards
hkopp

gawrilow
Main Author

Re: Bounding box

Postby gawrilow » 22 Feb 2011, 13:37

Well, it's a known issue and there is even a pending ticket about it. Unfortunately, I can't give a reliable prediction as of when it's going to be fixed. It haven't got a high priority so far.

In the meanwhile, you might want to play with the script apps/polytope/scripts/visual_unbounded (which BTW contains the initial version of the VISUAL method you are trying to use) and enhance it as to accept a list of polyhedrons. Please feel free to ask for assistance if you find difficult to understand it.

Return to “Helpdesk”