orientation of dual polyhedra to each other

Questions and problems about using polymake go here.
joachim_weinhold

orientation of dual polyhedra to each other

Postby joachim_weinhold » 24 Jun 2022, 13:29

Hi all,
as I am still a complete newbie to Polymake ( Level: feeling happy to find the „on/off-button“ ) I have a newbie-question on the orientation of polyhedra generated with Polymake. For sure something plain easy but difficult for me.
As I have the impression Polymake usually orientates the generated polyhedra basing on their own properties I am looking for the way to generate a polyhedron and its dual solid properly orientated to each other and together in one file (exported to .stl). In specific I am currently looking for the way to do this with the Johnson solid J90 outside and its dual solid inside (and as well the other way round) in order to refine two sculptures I am designing by using STL-files of these solids.

Kind regards & many thanks in advance
Joachim Weinhold

joswig
Main Author

Re: orientation of dual polyhedra to each other

Postby joswig » 26 Jun 2022, 22:10

The compose command puts several visualized objects into the same coordinate system. Should work with all backends.

Code: Select all

$J = johnson_solid(90); $PJ = polarize($J); compose($J->VISUAL(FacetColor=>"red",VertexLabels=>"hidden"), $PJ->VISUAL(FacetColor=>"blue",VertexLabels=>"hidden"));

joachim_weinhold

Re: orientation of dual polyhedra to each other

Postby joachim_weinhold » 03 Jul 2022, 20:15

Many Thanks for Your Help ! As it seems to be, I need to add some rotations - which is no problem as I tried to do this successfully (although not necessarily elegant) with Blender. I will send a more detailed description with some images. Kind regards & again many thanks - Joachim Weinhold

Return to “Helpdesk”