Load file from command line, elaborate, print output

Questions and problems about using polymake go here.
V123E

Load file from command line, elaborate, print output

Postby V123E » 28 Oct 2020, 10:46

Hi all! I am facing some troubles in doing a simple thing with polymake: What I would like to do is, from the command line, load a polytope in polymake, expressed through H-Description - equalities and inequalities -, print vertices, and have them saved on a file.
I have done a web search and I found that something like that should work:

Code: Select all

polymake 'my $p=load("MyPol.poly"); print $p->VERTICES;' > MyOut.txt
However, it sounds like my file "MyPol.poly" is not properly wrote, as I face the error

line 2: ill-formed section header
I have tried three different formats for the .poly file:

new Polytope(INEQUALITIES=>[...], EQUATIONS=>[...])

Polytope(INEQUALITIES=>[...], EQUATIONS=>[...])

(INEQUALITIES=>[...], EQUATIONS=>[...])
But the three of them return the same error and I am not able to figure out a suitable format. I should generate it automatically because it contains hundreds of inequalities and equalities.

Thank you for helping.

lkastner
Developer

Re: Load file from command line, elaborate, print output

Postby lkastner » 29 Oct 2020, 17:07

When using load the data needs to be in json(or previously xml) format. You can have a look at this as follows in polymake:

$p = cube(2); $p->name="square"; save($p);
Then open the file square.poly to see what it looks like.

Maybe if you do the following you can fix your issue. Change the content of MyPol.poly to

use application "polytope"; my $p = new Polytope(INEQUALITIES=>[...], EQUATIONS=>[...]); print $p->VERTICES; save_data($p->VERTICES, "vertices.txt");
and then run it with polymake --script MyPol.poly. Then there should be a file vertices.txt containing the vertices (as json/xml). Furthermore it should print the vertices to the screen.

Return to “Helpdesk”