Error while using nmz

Questions and problems about using polymake go here.
polymake_rulez44

Error while using nmz

Postby polymake_rulez44 » 09 Dec 2019, 23:04

polymake: WARNING: stored preference statements for label nmz
are not in effect - probably excluded by auto-configuration
polymake: used package ppl
The Parma Polyhedra Library (PPL): A C++ library for convex polyhedra
and other numerical abstractions.
http://www.cs.unipr.it/ppl/

What should you do, if you get this error message?

gawrilow
Main Author

Re: Error while using nmz

Postby gawrilow » 10 Dec 2019, 17:10

It's not an error, just a warning.
Somewhere in your file ~/.polymake/prefer.pl must be a statement looking like 'prefer nmz;'
This probably comes from some extension you have been using before.
Currently, there is no such label in polymake core rulebase. Therefore the warning.
If you don't know (any longer) what this nmz was about, just delete that line.

polymake_rulez44

Postby polymake_rulez44 » 10 Dec 2019, 17:15

yes i want to use nmz.

in my personal script i wrote prefer "nmz";

is this not correct? how can i tell polymake to use the nmz algorithm?

i think the error comes from that the algorithm is not called "nmz" (instead i need to say "normaliz", but in the paper where the algorithms are compared it is called "nmz" (https://arxiv.org/pdf/1408.4653.pdf)

So where do i find a documentation of all available algorithms with the name i need to tell prefer "<insert algorithm>"?

gawrilow
Main Author

Postby gawrilow » 10 Dec 2019, 21:23

'nmz' was just an abbreviation used in the paper, probably because 'normaliz' would have been too broad on some pictures.

The label to be used in the 'prefer' and 'prefer_now' commands is spelled 'libnormaliz'. You can figure this out e.g. by tab completion. Probably we should also offer a command like 'show_all_labels' or such.

Then there is one strange thing I just discovered: somebody has recently disabled libnormaliz rules for convex hull computations. If you are going to use them through polymake, you should remove a comment sign in front of the line 'INCLUDE convexhull.rules' in the file bundled/libnormaliz/apps/polytope/rules/main.rules, or follow the alternative advice given in the comment above. I doubt that this commenting out was really necessary, but would have to check first myself on a fitting occasion.

Return to “Helpdesk”