Editing extension on different computers

Questions and problems about using polymake go here.
hampe
Developer

Editing extension on different computers

Postby hampe » 29 Apr 2011, 11:21

Hi!

There seems to be an issue when working on an extension on different machines, or more precisely: In different directories. I copied the extension directory from my office computer to my laptop (but into a differently named directory), edited some source files and called 'make' in the extension root directory. It then just reported "nothing to do" and finished.

The problem seems to reside in the "inner" Makefiles, that lie in the (extension top)/build../apps/(tropical/fan/..) directory. They define a variable ExtensionTop, which was set to the absolute path in which the extension was first created ('/home/hampe/work/atint'). Since that directory couldn't be found on my laptop, it didn't do anything. Replacing the path with '../../..' fixed it. I'm not sure, though, if I'm supposed to do that or if it could break anything else :-)

Yours,

Simon

blorenz
Developer

Re: Editing extension on different computers

Postby blorenz » 29 Apr 2011, 15:31

Hello Simon,

When working with extensions on different computers every copy should have its own main Makefile in the top directory and its own build.xxx directory.
Just copy / commit all other directories. Makefile and build directory are (re)created on the other computer when calling import_extension.

This means you can just delete the Makefile and build.* directory on your laptop and let polymake recreate everything with the correct path.

Benjamin

Return to “Helpdesk”