v 3.0 can't open in Mac OS X 10.11

Discussions on installation issues go here.
murray

v 3.0 can't open in Mac OS X 10.11

Postby murray » 01 Jul 2016, 21:18

Just installed from polybundle-v3.0-MacOSX11-perl18-rc1.dmg under Mac OS X 10.11.5. When I open polymake.app, I immediately get pop-up error window:

Code: Select all

“polymake.start” can’t be opened because Sandbox is not allowed to open documents in Terminal.
(Same thing even if from Terminal I try ‘sudo open /Applications/polymake.app’.)

How fix?

paffenholz
Developer

Re: v 3.0 can't open in Mac OS X 10.11

Postby paffenholz » 03 Jul 2016, 14:32

MacOS by default quarantines all software (it detects, i.e. mostly stuff installed into /Applications) not downloaded through the app store. Normally, at first start you would get a popup stating something like that you have downloaded software from an untrusted source and your security settings don't allow execution of such. However, this only works if the new software tries to start a new window of its own. Polymake however starts *inside the already approved terminal* and so misses the warning.

You can switch off this behaviour globally in your system preferences, though this would not affect the already downloaded polymake. I don't know whether there is an official way to tell MacOS that you trust polymake, but the information is simply stored in an extended attribute of the bundle folder, which you can change in a terminal with

Code: Select all

xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/polymake.app/
Andreas

llyang

Postby llyang » 12 Jul 2016, 05:59

I'm having the same problem, and after trying
xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/polymake.app/
in the terminal, I get errors of the form:
xattr: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Applications/polymake.app//Contents/MacOS/polymake'

gawrilow
Main Author

Postby gawrilow » 12 Jul 2016, 13:35

Which user owns the polymake directory? If it's root/xroot, you'll have to prepend sudo to the command.

Westergard

Postby Westergard » 12 Oct 2017, 14:48

Which user owns the polymake directory? If it's root/xroot, you'll have to prepend sudo to the command.
Thanks gawrilow, that worked.

Return to “Installing polymake”