Bundle-installing polymake on Mac OS X 10.8.5

Discussions on installation issues go here.
tlh

Bundle-installing polymake on Mac OS X 10.8.5

Postby tlh » 16 Jun 2014, 14:51

Hello, and thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide. First off, is it hopeless to try to use the bundle install on OS X 10.8.5, since it is neither 10.8 nor 10.9? If not, and there's hope still, here's where I am stuck: After downloading the OS 10.8 bundle and placing it in the Applications folder, which went fine, it couldn't BEGIN (please see attached screenshot of the terminal window). Basically, there seems to be an incompatibility with something in a library associated to the bundled perl, but this is all unfamiliar to me.

After that, I tried downloading the OS 10.9 version, just to see. This time, the message that came when trying to run it is that the perl version didn't match. As in the Read Me file (and other posts in this forum), I ran the version check, and it says I'm running the same version of perl as came with the OS 10.8 polymake bundle (5.12.4). So, is there any way out?

I was so happy to see you had these bundles, and very much hope it can still be made to work.
Attachments

[The extension pdf has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

gawrilow
Main Author

Re: Bundle-installing polymake on Mac OS X 10.8.5

Postby gawrilow » 16 Jun 2014, 19:38

The bundle for 10.9 can definitely not be deployed on your machine.
The problem with the bundle for 10.8 roots at your Fink installation (/sw/lib). Although your system is apparently newer than the original one where the bundle had been built, the libxml2 library contained in your Fink seems older. Please check whether you can upgrade your fink packages; if it's not possible, then the only way to go is to compile polymake from the source code.

tlh

Postby tlh » 17 Jun 2014, 01:45

Thank you, gawrilow.

paffenholz
Developer

Postby paffenholz » 17 Jun 2014, 23:44

The bundle has been built on a machine with fink installed, and somehow fink managed to get involved in the built process despite our efforts to use only system libraries. The path to fink is compiled into the module Ext.bundle you have problems with. Sorry.

We will try to rebuild using only the system libxml.

Andreas

tlh

Postby tlh » 18 Jun 2014, 20:37

Thank you, Andreas; that would be great.

Return to “Installing polymake”