Bundle-installing polymake 2.13 on OS X 10.9

Discussions on installation issues go here.
camilo

Bundle-installing polymake 2.13 on OS X 10.9

Postby camilo » 08 Apr 2014, 11:03

Dear polymake Team,

I just tried bundle-installing polymake 2.13 on OS X 10.9, and everything seemed to go fine. However, when trying to open, the following message appeared:

Code: Select all

========================================================================== your perl version does not match the perl version this app was built for please download and install the version of polymake that corresponds to the version of your system perl You can find the version number by executing /usr/bin/perl --version in a terminal. If there is no version of the polymake app matching your perl version please contact us at http://forum.polymake.org ========================================================================== logout
According to the Download page, the bundle I used is for perl 5.16.2, which actually matches the version of perl in my OS:

fma197:~ c-----------o$ /usr/bin/perl --version This is perl 5, version 16, subversion 2 (v5.16.2) built for darwin-thread-multi-2level (with 3 registered patches, see perl -V for more detail) Copyright 1987-2012, Larry Wall Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or the GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit. Complete documentation for Perl, including FAQ lists, should be found on this system using "man perl" or "perldoc perl". If you have access to the Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl Home Page.
What can I do?

Thanks in advance!

paffenholz
Developer

Re: Bundle-installing polymake 2.13 on OS X 10.9

Postby paffenholz » 08 Apr 2014, 14:12

I am a bit puzzled about this. The version check is rather simple and only compares version numbers as string.

Just to rule out a failing grep command, can you run

perlversion=`/usr/bin/perl --version | grep -o "5[.][0-9]*[.][0-9]"`; if [ "$perlversion" != "5.16.2" ]; then echo "version is not correct"; else echo "version is correct"; fi
in a terminal?

camilo

Postby camilo » 08 Apr 2014, 14:57

Thanks for your answer!

I just tried that, and got:

version is correct

paffenholz
Developer

Postby paffenholz » 08 Apr 2014, 15:20

This is strange. The exact same test is done during the start or polymake.

If you have copied the bundle to /Applications you can try whether removing the test helps. For this, you have to edit the file
/Applications/polymake.app/Contents/MacOS/polymake.start

The test happens in line 11, you should see a ''5.16.2'' there.

You have to make it writable first with ''chmod u+x chmod u+w /Applications/polymake.app/Contents/MacOS/polymake.start''. Then open it with a plain text editor (e.g. nano or vi) and remove lines 11 to 23 (starting with ''if [ "$perlversion" != "5.16.2" ]; then '' and ending with ''fi'').

If the perl version is correct polymake should now start. Otherwise it will complain about missing perl modules.

Hopefully this helps. I don't yet understand what is going wrong.

camilo

Postby camilo » 08 Apr 2014, 16:11

I got it. It was my clumsiness' fault: at some point while downloading, my finger slipped and clicked on the polymake 2.12 bundle (which requires perl 5.12) instead of the intended 2.13.

I installed it now (2.13!) and it seems to be working fine. Many thanks and much more apologies...

paffenholz
Developer

Postby paffenholz » 08 Apr 2014, 16:20

No problem! I am glad it worked out.

Enjoy polymake. And if you encounter more problems please write again

Andreas

Return to “Installing polymake”