Mac 10.9, close but problem with perl

Discussions on installation issues go here.
dfbf

Mac 10.9, close but problem with perl

Postby dfbf » 05 Dec 2013, 15:39

First off, thanks to the developers for this useful piece of software.

After updating to 10.9, I have been trying to install polymake.

Following the mac how-to, I made several small changes to the procedure
- Using fink, installed readline6, boost1.53.python33, and gcc48

I could configure using

Code: Select all

./configure CC=/sw/lib/gcc4.8/bin/gcc-fsf-4.8 CXX=/sw/lib/gcc4.8/bin/g++-fsf-4.8
But received the following ominous warning

WARNING: perl module Term::ReadLine::Gnu required for polymake not found on your machine. Please be sure to install it prior to starting to use polymake. If you have installed them in a non-standard location please add the path to the environment variable PERL5LIB
Configuration goes on, nevertheless.

I could make and make install, but on attempting to use polymake the problem with the perl installation came up

dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _Perl_mod Referenced from: /usr/local/lib/polymake/perlx/5.16.2/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/Polymake/Ext/Ext.bundle Expected in: flat namespace dyld: Symbol not found: _Perl_mod Referenced from: /usr/local/lib/polymake/perlx/5.16.2/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/Polymake/Ext/Ext.bundle Expected in: flat namespace Trace/BPT trap: 5
I've tried using the perl version in fink (not recommended as I understand) and specifying the location of the system version, but either I'm too ignorant of unix basics to get it right, or there is a bigger problem with 10.9.

I would be grateful for any advice about how to proceed here.

paffenholz
Developer

Re: Mac 10.9, close but problem with perl

Postby paffenholz » 05 Dec 2013, 15:57

You are missing the fink package ''term-readline-gnu-pm5100'' or similar (in particular, the number might have changed). Make sure that fink is available in the terminal you try to start polymake.

Currently we don't have a Mac with 10.9 available to test ourselves. We will give updated installation information once we had the chance to check.

Best
Andreas

gawrilow
Main Author

Postby gawrilow » 05 Dec 2013, 23:18

dyld: Symbol not found: _Perl_mod
Referenced from: /usr/local/lib/polymake/perlx/5.16.2/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/Polymake/Ext/Ext.bundle
Expected in: flat namespace
That's strange. Perl_mod in fact disappeared since perl version 5.16.0, but polymake knows this and takes appropriate precautions. In lib/core/src/perl/RefHash.xs you'll find an #if guarding the call to Perl_mod, and that's the only one in the entire core library.

Could it be that the funny Apple's perl reports its version wrongly, so that the checks scattered through polymake XS code come to wrong conclusions? Try to insert an #error reporting the value of PerlVersion symbol. It should be 5162 in your case.

gawrilow
Main Author

Postby gawrilow » 05 Dec 2013, 23:22

You are missing the fink package ''term-readline-gnu-pm5100'' or similar (in particular, the number might have changed).
Should be -pm5162 now, according to the posted log.

blorenz
Developer

Postby blorenz » 06 Dec 2013, 11:08

It looks like you are trying to install polymake 2.12 which is not compatible with perl 5.16, you need to apply the path from this forum thread:
http://forum.polymake.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&p=942#p942
This should fix the Perl_mod problem.

Alternatively you can try the perpetual beta which already includes this patch and a lot of other fixes / new features.

Ben

Return to “Installing polymake”