Polymake on MacOS 10.9?

Discussions on installation issues go here.
adamkalman

Polymake on MacOS 10.9?

Postby adamkalman » 22 Nov 2013, 05:55

Is it possible to install and run polymake on Mac OSX 10.9? As soon as I updated my operating system from 10.7 to 10.9, polymake stopped working.

If anyone is kind enough to respond to this, you should know that I've already tried to read
http://www.polymake.org/doku.php/howto/mac
and I don't really understand the technical gobbledygook, like whatever "fink" and "gcc" mean, or the difference between a "binary" and a "source" installation. I had installed the "bundled" version before and it worked fine, and I just want it to work again.

Also, if the solution involves messing with important settings or system files on my computer in order to coax polymake into working, you should know that I'm probably not willing to do this.

If it is not possible to install polymake on an updated Mac, is there any way to get the online "polymake in a Box" to take input from text files? (I don't really want to enter 50 or more points manually, one at a time - I'd rather polymake just read the points out of a text file, like my installed polymake used to do.)

Thank you,
Adam

assarf
Developer

Re: Polymake on MacOS 10.9?

Postby assarf » 22 Nov 2013, 09:09

As far as I know, no one in the polymake team is using 10.9. This will probably change, but I don't know when they decide to update. Maybe one of the current Mac users can still troubleshoot your problem.
no signature

paffenholz
Developer

Re: Polymake on MacOS 10.9?

Postby paffenholz » 22 Nov 2013, 09:51

Unfortunately apple breaks essential parts of the system with every new OS, so the polymake bundle has to be rebuild from scratch everytime apple publishes one. Currently there is no polymake developer who owns a Mac with 10.9, so I can't say when we will be able to work on a bundle for 10.9.

I have been told that compiling polymake on 10.9 with gcc (e.g. the one that comes with fink) works fine. Compiling from the sources is the standard way to install free software on Unix-like operating systems, so maybe you can find someone to assist you with this.

The online version of polymake is not meant for heavy computations, so there are no plans to allow text file upload for processing with polymake.

best
Andreas

Return to “Installing polymake”