Installing under Mac OSX 10.8.3

Discussions on installation issues go here.
borgo

Installing under Mac OSX 10.8.3

Postby borgo » 04 Jun 2013, 18:34

Hello,
I'm trying to install polymake. I followed the procedure in the section "polymake on the Mac". I have installed fink and with it all seams to be fine. Then I did:
./configure CC=/sw/bin/gcc-4 CXX=/sw/bin/g++-4
and
./configure CC=/sw/bin/gcc-fsf-4.8 CXX=/sw/bin/g++-fsf-4.8
but in both cases I get the error:

Could not compile a test program checking for the Boost C++ Libraries.
The most probable reasons are that the library is installed at a non-standard location,
lacking developer's subpackage or missing at all.
Please refer to the installation instructions at http://polymake.mathematik.tu-darmstadt ... to/install.
The complete error log follows:
polymake_configure.cc:1:32: schwerwiegender Fehler: boost/shared_ptr.hpp: No such file or directory
#include <boost/shared_ptr.hpp>
^
Kompilierung beendet.

would be nice if someone could solve this.

paffenholz
Developer

Re: Installing under Mac OSX 10.8.3

Postby paffenholz » 04 Jun 2013, 22:36

Could you please check that fink indeed installed the boost libraries correctly, i.e. could you please check (or post) the result of "fink list boost"? The error message indicates that the boost library is not installed properly, while the configuration would fail differently if it would not find fink at all.

borgo

Postby borgo » 05 Jun 2013, 09:40

Yes, here is what I get:

fink list boost
Information about 7416 packages read in 168 seconds.
boost-jam 3.1.16-1 Extension of Perforce Jam make replacement
boost1.35.nopyt 1.35.0-12 Boost C++ Libraries: static and source libs
boost1.35.nopyt 1.35.0-12 Boost C++ Libraries (shared libs)
boost1.35.pytho 1.35.0-12 Boost C++ Libraries: static and source libs
boost1.35.pytho 1.35.0-12 Boost C++ Libraries (shared libs)
boost1.35.pytho 1.35.0-12 Boost C++ Libraries: static and source libs
boost1.35.pytho 1.35.0-12 Boost C++ Libraries (shared libs)
boost1.35.syste 1.35.0-12 Boost C++ Libraries: static and source libs
boost1.35.syste 1.35.0-12 Boost C++ Libraries (shared libs)
boost1.46.1.cma 1.46.1-2 Boost C++ Libraries
boost1.46.1.cma 1.46.1-2 Boost C++ Libraries

paffenholz
Developer

Postby paffenholz » 05 Jun 2013, 11:45

It seems that that fink package for boost has not been installed, there should have been an "i" in front of "boost1.46.1.cmake". Can you please try to install this again with "fink install boost1.46.1.cmake"?

borgo

Postby borgo » 07 Jun 2013, 10:12

Ok, now the ./configure comand works, I get:

./configure CC=/sw/bin/gcc-fsf-4.8 CXX=/sw/bin/g++-fsf-4.8
WARNING: perl module XML::Writer required for polymake not found on your machine.
Please be sure to install it prior to starting to use polymake.
If you have installed them in a non-standard location
please add the path to the environment variable PERL5LIB
WARNING: perl module XML::LibXML required for polymake not found on your machine.
WARNING: perl module XML::LibXSLT required for polymake not found on your machine.
WARNING: perl module Term::ReadLine::Gnu required for polymake not found on your machine.

Configuration goes on, nevertheless.

the command make seams to work but it ends with
^
/sw/bin/g++-fsf-4.8 -c -o pipestream.o -fPIC -I/Users/Dennis/Downloads/polymake-2.12/include/core-wrappers -I/Users/Dennis/Downloads/polymake-2.12/include/core -ftemplate-depth-200 -Wall -Wno-strict-aliasing -Wno-parentheses -I/sw/include -DNDEBUG -DPOLYMAKE_DEBUG=0 -O3 -MD /Users/Dennis/Downloads/polymake-2.12/lib/core/src/pipestream.cc
/sw/bin/g++-fsf-4.8 -c -o socketstream.o -fPIC -I/Users/Dennis/Downloads/polymake-2.12/include/core-wrappers -I/Users/Dennis/Downloads/polymake-2.12/include/core -ftemplate-depth-200 -Wall -Wno-strict-aliasing -Wno-parentheses -I/sw/include -DNDEBUG -DPOLYMAKE_DEBUG=0 -O3 -MD /Users/Dennis/Downloads/polymake-2.12/lib/core/src/socketstream.cc
/sw/bin/g++-fsf-4.8 -c -o standalone_init.o -fPIC -I/Users/Dennis/Downloads/polymake-2.12/include/core-wrappers -I/Users/Dennis/Downloads/polymake-2.12/include/core -ftemplate-depth-200 -Wall -Wno-strict-aliasing -Wno-parentheses -I/sw/include -DNDEBUG -DPOLYMAKE_DEBUG=0 -O3 -MD /Users/Dennis/Downloads/polymake-2.12/lib/core/src/standalone_init.cc
/sw/bin/g++-fsf-4.8 -L/opt/local/lib -bundle -undefined dynamic_lookup -fstack-protector -o ../lib/core.bundle AccurateFloat.o Bitset.o CharBuffer.o FacetList.o Integer.o PlainParser.o RandomGenerators.o Rational.o Ring.o SharedMemoryMatrix.o color.o inlines.o lib_init.o linalg_float.o pipestream.o socketstream.o standalone_init.o -L/sw/lib -lmpfr -lgmp
cd ../perlx-5.12.3-darwin-multi-2level; \
perl /Users/Dennis/Downloads/polymake-2.12/lib/core/src/perl/Makefile.PL \
TOP=/Users/Dennis/Downloads/polymake-2.12 SourceDir=/Users/Dennis/Downloads/polymake-2.12/lib/core/src/perl \
libxml2Cflags="-I/sw/include/libxml2 -I/sw/include" libxml2Libs="-L/sw/lib -lxml2 -lz -lpthread -L/sw/lib -liconv -lm"
Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Writing Makefile for Polymake::Ext
/opt/local/bin/perl /opt/local/lib/perl5/5.12.3/ExtUtils/xsubpp -typemap /opt/local/lib/perl5/5.12.3/ExtUtils/typemap Customize.xs > Customize.xsc && mv Customize.xsc Customize.c
/Developer/usr/bin/llvm-gcc-4.2 -c -I/Users/Dennis/Downloads/polymake-2.12/include/core -pipe -O2 -arch x86_64 -fno-common -DPERL_DARWIN -I/opt/local/include -no-cpp-precomp -fno-strict-aliasing -fstack-protector -I/opt/local/include -O3 -DVERSION=\"\" -DXS_VERSION=\"\" "-I/opt/local/lib/perl5/5.12.3/darwin-multi-2level/CORE" -DPerlVersion=5123 -Wno-nonnull Customize.c
/bin/sh: /Developer/usr/bin/llvm-gcc-4.2: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [Customize.o] Error 127
make[1]: *** [compile-xs] Error 2
make: *** [compile] Error 2

paffenholz
Developer

Postby paffenholz » 09 Jun 2013, 10:48

Do you use a non-standard version of perl? Apple's version should be at /usr/bin/ instead of /opt/local/bin/. Your version seems to depend on apple's C++-compiler (it tries to compile with llvm-gcc-4.2, which it does not find), which comes whith Xcode, but you have to install the command line tools from the preferences menu of Xcode.

borgo

Postby borgo » 09 Jun 2013, 13:13

I don't know if I use a non-standard version of perl. I look up in /user/bin and there I found the following files:
perl
perl5.10
perl5.12
perlbug
perlbug5.10
perlbug5.12
perdoc
perldoc5.10
perldoc5.12
perlivp
perlivp5.10
perlvip5.12
perlthanks
perlthanks5.10
perlthanks5.12
I installed the command line tools from the preference menu of Xcode. That was one of the steps required for the installation of Fink.

paffenholz
Developer

Postby paffenholz » 11 Jun 2013, 16:32

Okay. I don't have access to a Mac with similar installation paths, so I still have to guess why it fails. The problematic part is the perl version at /opt/local/bin, and the attempt to find a C++-compiler at /Developer/usr/bin/

You could try to specify the perl binary explicitly during configuration:

Code: Select all

./configure CC=/sw/bin/gcc-fsf-4.8 CXX=/sw/bin/g++-fsf-4.8 PERL=/usr/bin/perl
to force apple's system perl.

If that does not help:

- Does /opt/local/bin appear prior to /usr/bin in your $PATH ("echo $PATH")?
- Do you (or did you) also have a version of DarwinPorts on your Mac? If so, and if there is a way to avoid loading that, that might help.
- Versions of Xcode prior to 4.3 installed a c++-compiler into /Developer/usr/bin (and 4.3 probably removes it). Maybe your perl was installed (possibly by DarwinPorts) while a different version of Xcode was installed? Anyway, the configuration of polymake never wants to access another compiler than the one given by CC, so the call to /Developer/usr/bin/llvm-gcc-4.2 is initiated by something else.

borgo

Postby borgo » 13 Jun 2013, 18:42

I tried to force apple's system perl, it compiled but Polymake showed a new error when started. I had installed MacPorts because I needed before and some of the directories where probably different form the standard one Polymake assume. So I installed the OS again and now it works. Thank you for the help anyway

paffenholz
Developer

Postby paffenholz » 16 Jun 2013, 17:12

Congratulations to your working polymake. Enjoy.

I am sorry that you experienced so many difficulties during the installation. I did not expect that installing several Linux-to-Mac ports can cause so many path/library/program conflicts. You are apparently the first one who tried...

Many thanks for your reports on these problems. I will try to address them in the configuration of polymake, so that at least those trying the same thing in the future will experience less trouble.

Return to “Installing polymake”