Immediate install failure (RHEL)

Discussions on installation issues go here.
gordonfroyle

Immediate install failure (RHEL)

Postby gordonfroyle » 16 Nov 2012, 03:07

I am trying to install polymake on a Linux machine:

Code: Select all

[gordon@ECM-MATHS-013 polymake-2.12]$ cat /etc/redhat-release Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation release 6.3 (Santiago) [gordon@ECM-MATHS-013 polymake-2.12]$ uname -a Linux ECM-MATHS-013.uniwa.uwa.edu.au 2.6.32-279.2.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Jul 5 21:08:58 EDT 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
However when I do

./configure
it immediately fails.

polymake_configure.cc:1:18: error: mpfr.h: No such file or directory
I fixed the isomorphic error "no gmp.h" by typing "yum install gmp-devel" but no luck with mpfr, or mpfr-devel or anything like that.

Any clues gratefully received...

gawrilow
Main Author

Re: Immediate install failure (RHEL)

Postby gawrilow » 17 Nov 2012, 00:00

Does "no luck" mean that despite you have installed the package mpfr-devel you still get the same error, or that no package with this or similar name exists? I don't have a RedHat machine at hand, so unfortunately I can't tell for sure how the package could be called else. If you fail to find the package, you may download and install MPFR manually, it is a quite straightforward procedure. The download link can be found on our Wiki.

gordonfroyle

Re: Immediate install failure (RHEL)

Postby gordonfroyle » 19 Nov 2012, 09:23

Does "no luck" mean that despite you have installed the package mpfr-devel you still get the same error,
Yes, I guess that my message was essentially useless, so sorry about that - in fact, I needed to install MPFR from source...

However, the GOOD news is that I have managed to successfully compile polymake!

It only took about two hours of chasing packages and installation errors, but they were all dependencies rather than anything actually in polymake; once the configuration was fixed, the compilation stage worked fine.

In case any future people might be interested, I ended up having to do the following

- install GMP using yum (the package manager)
- compile MPFR from source
- set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable to point to /usr/local/lib
- install various Perl modules, which involved the most work due to LOTS of dependencies, and various tools whose libraries ended up in the wrong places; this step alone involved a mixture of "yum", compilation from source, symlinks etc.
- install Java JDK

Return to “Installing polymake”