visualization

Discussions on installation issues go here.
josephineyu

visualization

Postby josephineyu » 05 Aug 2012, 22:45

I just (re)installed polymake 2.12 on Red Hat 6. Everything went fine while compiling from source. But I cannot use VISUAL. Got the error:
polymake: ERROR: bind failed: Permission denied

Any tips? Thanks!
Josephine

gawrilow
Main Author

Re: visualization

Postby gawrilow » 06 Aug 2012, 16:39

This look really eerily. polymake usually does not try anything forbidden, it's an innocent kid. It just needs an unused port in the range 30000-65534, which is normally freely accessible for all programs, bound to the local address 127.0.0.1, where it listens for jreality or javaview data requests.
The reason for failure may be that either you are running in a severely constrained environment, which does not allow to open server ports at all (for some peculiar security reasons), or the value 30000 has suddenly become reserved for system daemons, or your network configuration does not know "localhost" anymore or has renamed it to something else (e.g. you might be working in a IPv6-only network). Please consult your network administrator. To help the investigations, please start polymake, switch to another shell (terminal), find out the process number (pgrep -l polymake), start

Code: Select all

strace -o ~/protocol.txt -p PROCESSID
then get back to polymake and try the VISUAL command. As soon as the error message appears, kill strace with simple Control-C and upload the protocol file here. Your network administrator might want to look into it as well.

josephineyu

Postby josephineyu » 06 Aug 2012, 17:12

I can't attach the protocol file. Got the message:
The extension txt is not allowed.
(And changing the extension doesn't help).
But here it the file:
http://people.math.gatech.edu/~jyu67/protocol.txt
I'll ask my admins as well.
Thanks!
Josephine

gawrilow
Main Author

Postby gawrilow » 06 Aug 2012, 22:57

The most (and only) relevant lines in the protocol are the following:

Code: Select all

socket(PF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, IPPROTO_TCP) = 5 bind(5, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(30000), sin_addr=inet_addr("127.0.0.1")}, 16) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
It looks like your machine either does not have an IPv4 network at all, or tremendously restrictive firewall rules have been imposed. Please speak to your admin, remotely I can't deduce more.

Return to “Installing polymake”