Installing from source on macOS 10.13

Discussions on installation issues go here.
AndrewPStaal

Installing from source on macOS 10.13

Postby AndrewPStaal » 01 Jun 2019, 00:19

Hi,

I'm trying to install polymake on a mid-2012 MacBook Pro. Using homebrew/perlbrew. AFAIK, I've successfully gotten ninja and java installed, and dealt with dependencies. And I git cloned the directory https://github.com/polymake/polymake. However, I have an error at the configure stage. I wonder if anyone can help me resolve this? Seems to be a problem with boost, but I don't understand it. Error message below.

Thank you,
Andrew

APSMBP2:polymake andrew$ ./configure --without-fink LDFLAGS=' -stdlib=libstdc++' CXXFLAGS=-I/usr/include/c++/4.2.1
checking C++ compiler ... ok (g++ is Apple CLANG (roughly 6.0) from Xcode 10.0.0)
checking C++ library ... ok (GNU libstdc++ 20070719, C++ 201402)
checking for package manager ... no package manager specified
determining architecture ... ok (darwin.x86_64)
determining compiler flags ... ok
CFLAGS=
CXXFLAGS=-I/usr/include/c++/4.2.1 -std=c++14 -Wno-logical-op-parentheses -Wno-shift-op-parentheses -Wno-mismatched-tags -Wno-unused-local-typedef -Wno-error=unneeded-internal-declaration -Wshadow
LDFLAGS= -stdlib=libstdc++
checking gmp installation ... ok
checking mpfr installation ... ok
checking boost installation ... Could not compile a test program checking for boost library.
The most probable reasons are that the library is installed at a non-standard location,
or missing at all.
The complete error log follows:
clang: warning: libstdc++ is deprecated; move to libc++ [-Wdeprecated]
In file included from /var/folders/ln/y7rp83ds5j7gf_wsdtxpms000000gn/T//polymake_12497_configure.cc:1:
In file included from /usr/local/include/boost/shared_ptr.hpp:17:
/usr/local/include/boost/smart_ptr/shared_ptr.hpp:370:174: error: no member named 'move' in namespace 'std'
BOOST_CONSTEXPR shared_ptr( boost::detail::sp_internal_constructor_tag, element_type * px_, boost::detail::shared_count && pn_ ) BOOST_SP_NOEXCEPT : px( px_ ), pn( std::move( pn_ ) )
~~~~~^
/usr/local/include/boost/smart_ptr/shared_ptr.hpp:927:32: error: no member named 'move' in namespace 'std'
return shared_ptr<T>( std::move(r), p );
~~~~~^
/usr/local/include/boost/smart_ptr/shared_ptr.hpp:937:32: error: no member named 'move' in namespace 'std'
~~~~~^
/usr/local/include/boost/smart_ptr/shared_ptr.hpp:947:35: error: no member named 'move' in namespace 'std'
return p? shared_ptr<T>( std::move(r), p ): shared_ptr<T>();
~~~~~^
/usr/local/include/boost/smart_ptr/shared_ptr.hpp:957:32: error: no member named 'move' in namespace 'std'
~~~~~^
In file included from /var/folders/ln/y7rp83ds5j7gf_wsdtxpms000000gn/T//polymake_12497_configure.cc:1:
In file included from /usr/local/include/boost/smart_ptr/shared_ptr.hpp:1158:
In file included from /usr/local/include/boost/smart_ptr/detail/local_sp_deleter.hpp:20:
/usr/local/include/boost/smart_ptr/detail/local_counted_base.hpp:110:66: error: no member named 'move' in namespace 'std'
explicit local_counted_impl( shared_count && pn ): pn_( std::move(pn) )
~~~~~^
In file included from /usr/local/include/boost/smart_ptr/shared_ptr.hpp:1158:
/usr/local/include/boost/smart_ptr/detail/local_sp_deleter.hpp:47:68: error: no member named 'move' in namespace 'std'
explicit local_sp_deleter( D&& d ) BOOST_SP_NOEXCEPT: d_( std::move(d) )
~~~~~^
7 errors generated.

Please install the library and specify its location using --with-boost option, if needed.

paffenholz
Developer

Re: Installing from source on macOS 10.13

Postby paffenholz » 01 Jun 2019, 10:58

Seems we tested but did not properly update the instructions. Can you try the configure without any of the options you used, so just

Code: Select all

./configure
Andreas

AndrewPStaal

Postby AndrewPStaal » 01 Jun 2019, 13:25

Hi,

okay, I tried with only ./configure. Here is the output:
APSMBP2:polymake andrew$ ./configure
checking C++ compiler ... ok (g++ is Apple CLANG (roughly 6.0) from Xcode 10.0.0)
checking C++ library ... ok (libc++ 6000, C++ 201402)
checking for package manager ... no package manager specified
determining architecture ... ok (darwin.x86_64)
determining compiler flags ... ok
CFLAGS=
CXXFLAGS= -std=c++14 -Wno-logical-op-parentheses -Wno-shift-op-parentheses -Wno-mismatched-tags -Wno-unused-local-typedef -Wno-error=unneeded-internal-declaration -Wshadow
LDFLAGS=
checking gmp installation ... ok
checking mpfr installation ... ok
checking boost installation ... ok
checking libxml2 installation ... ok
checking perl module XML::Writer ... ok
checking perl module XML::LibXML ... ok
checking perl module XML::LibXSLT ... ok
checking perl module Term::ReadKey ... ok
checking perl module Term::ReadLine ... ok
checking perl module JSON ... failed
WARNING: perl module JSON required for polymake not found on your machine.
Please be sure to install it prior to starting to use polymake.
If you have installed them in a non-standard location
please add the path to the environment variable PERL5LIB.
checking shared perl library ... Use of uninitialized value $thislib in substitution (s///) at /Users/andrew/perl5/lib/perl5/ExtUtils/Liblist/Kid.pm line 72.
Use of uninitialized value $thislib in pattern match (m//) at /Users/andrew/perl5/lib/perl5/ExtUtils/Liblist/Kid.pm line 99.
Use of uninitialized value $thislib in substitution (s///) at /Users/andrew/perl5/lib/perl5/ExtUtils/Liblist/Kid.pm line 106.
Use of uninitialized value $thislib in concatenation (.) or string at /Users/andrew/perl5/lib/perl5/ExtUtils/Liblist/Kid.pm line 114.
Unrecognized argument in LIBS ignored: ''
ok

Configuring bundled extensions:
bundled extension atint ... ok
bundled extension bliss ... failed
bundled extension cdd ... ok (bundled)
bundled extension java ... ok (JNI headers at /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/Current/Headers)
bundled extension javaview ... failed
bundled extension jreality ... ok (with bundled JOGL)
bundled extension libnormaliz ... ok (bundled [OpenMP support disabled])
bundled extension lrs ... ok (bundled)
bundled extension nauty ... ok (bundled)
bundled extension ppl ... ok (1.2.0 @ /usr/local)
bundled extension scip ... failed
bundled extension singular ... failed
bundled extension soplex ... failed
bundled extension sympol ... ok (bundled)
* If you want to change the configuration of bundled extensions please see build/bundled.log and try configure --help.

* Configuration successful.
* You can run 'ninja -C build/Opt install' now to build and install polymake.
WARNING: Please install/check the following perl modules prior to starting polymake:
JSON
I just installed JSON with

brew install cpanm
and

cpanm install JSON
and re-ran ./configure. This gets rid of the warning message, but not the messages about the perl library. Not sure if these are important, same with the configuring bundle extensions failures.

gawrilow
Main Author

Postby gawrilow » 01 Jun 2019, 17:13

I guess, you can ignore the warnings for now. They come from some third-party package pulled in as an indirect dependency. If you get polymake built and running, then they don't matter.

Regarding bundled extensions: these are just interfaces to independent software packages you have to install separately, if you need them in the first place. If the names do not ring a bell for you, just ignore. If you need some of them, first install the software then reconfigure polymake.

AndrewPStaal

Postby AndrewPStaal » 01 Jun 2019, 18:49

Great, thanks to both of you for your help! It seems to be running, so I'll have a go at the introduction now.

Cheers,
Andrew

Return to “Installing polymake”